[darcs-users] Compleat patch

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Thu Nov 12 02:40:08 UTC 2009

Josef Svenningsson <josef.svenningsson at gmail.com> writes:

> I've written a patch which makes darcs produce usage files which can
> be consumed by compleat[1], a tool for tab completion. I realize that
> this isn't likely to make it into the main branch since darcs already
> provides some functionality for this.

You're right: I'd prefer Darcs to have only *one* completion argument.

Is it possible to extend --commands such that it is useful to compleat
(without breaking bash completion)?  If not, could we additionally
modify contrib/darcs_completion to understand compleat-style --commands
output?

>From a brief look at the URL you cite, I guess the answer to both of
those is "no", or at least "not trivially".  Apart from anything else,
Darcs' existing bash integration is context-sensitive -- it'll complete
differently if you are/aren't in a repo.   Compleat doesn't appear to
support that notion.

> [1] http://limpet.net/mbrubeck/2009/10/30/compleat.html

The example on that page:

>>  android [--silent | --verbose]
>>    ( list [avd|target]
>>                 | --path <file> | --sdcard <file> | --force ) ...
>>    | (delete|update) avd --name <avd>
>>    | create project ( (--package|--name|--activity|--path) <val>
>>                     | --target <target> ) ...
>>    | update project ((--name|--path) <val> | --target <target>) ...
>>    | update adb )

seems similar to a manpage SYNOPSIS section.  Would it be better to
mangle the existing SYNOPSIS such that compleat can understand it?