[darcs-users] Compleat patch

Josef Svenningsson josef.svenningsson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 22:19:26 UTC 2009

Trent,

Thanks for your response.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:40 AM, Trent W. Buck <twb at cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> Is it possible to extend --commands such that it is useful to compleat
> (without breaking bash completion)?  If not, could we additionally
> modify contrib/darcs_completion to understand compleat-style --commands
> output?
>
> From a brief look at the URL you cite, I guess the answer to both of
> those is "no", or at least "not trivially".  Apart from anything else,
> Darcs' existing bash integration is context-sensitive -- it'll complete
> differently if you are/aren't in a repo.   Compleat doesn't appear to
> support that notion.

As you say it's not trivial to share code with darcs commands output.
I do think it's possible to script compleat to support context
sensitive since you can use a bit of shell scripting. But since I
don't use that feature much myself I decided it wasn't worth it, at
least not to start with.

> The example on that page [..] seems similar to a manpage SYNOPSIS section.  Would it be better to
> mangle the existing SYNOPSIS such that compleat can understand it?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I'll look into it.

Thanks,

Josef