[darcs-users] [patch62] Annotate long-running tests to make optimization easier.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Nov 15 15:35:19 UTC 2009

Thanks for the patch!

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 06:26:57 +0000, Kimberly Wallmark wrote:
> Proposed patch to issue 1394.  This puts a time indication on tests
> that take longer than 5 seconds.  To reduce visual bulk, it doesn't
> mark up short-running (well-behaved) tests.
>
> Sat Nov 14 14:55:23 PST 2009  Kim Wallmark <kim_darcsnet at arlim.org>
>    * Annotate long-running tests to make optimization easier.
>
>    See http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1394

I thought it looked good and pushed it.  Unfortunately, I later had to
roll it back.  The problem is...

Annotate long-running tests to make optimization easier.
> +import Data.Time.Clock

is that not everybody has this package, which breaks
'cabal install darcs'

Some solutions proposed by Petr
- make shell harness a separate binary
- restrict shell harness to only use dependencies that
  Cabal already has (is there a way to do this timing stuff?)

Personally, I think the time package in darcs.cabal would be good
enough, but it makes Petr grumpy because it's not a systematic
solution.

Thanks,

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9