[darcs-users] [patch62] Annotate long-running tests to make optimization easier.

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Sun Nov 15 23:42:31 UTC 2009

Hi,

Kim Wallmark <bugs at darcs.net> writes:
> I'm not confident about other options, either.  time (and the deprecated library
> oldtime) are the only things that provide wall-clock time.  System.CPUTime is in
> base, but measuring elapsed time in CPU time wouldn't give us accurate
> information for long-running tests that are, for example, disk IO-bound.
even though you don't have wallclock time, you could be a little
creative with forkIO and sleep, which may be good enough and should be
available in base (although it may well be that the setup does not use
the threaded runtime and we maybe use blocking syscalls, this needs to
be checked first).

> Making Distribution.ShellHarness a separate binary is going to make
> the connection between Setup and ShellHarness ugly for no good effect.
I agree it's not such a great option, but it's still acceptable if it
helps us get the features we want. We already do this (and have to do
this) in the case of unit tests anyway, so it is not such a big loss. In
fact, if we ever ported the shell harness over to test-framework, we
would have to do this as well.

Yours,
   Petr.