[darcs-users] new patch status?

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Tue Nov 17 10:08:20 UTC 2009

Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> writes:

> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Trent W. Buck wrote:
>
>> Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> writes:
>>
>>> Generally when reviewing patches, I read them directly, perhaps have a
>>> look at the source they apply to, and then decide that they're fine so
>>> long as the tests pass. Actually keeping track of them between that
>>> point and running the tests and pushing is a bit of a pain, and
>>> there's a cognitive shift that feels quite disruptive.
>>
>> Let me turn this around: how hard would it be to automate this, so that
>> patches that don't apply cleanly are automatically set to needs-amend?
>>
>> Is it as simple as "apply --dry-run $attachment --repodir ..." within
>> the procmail script?
>
> I think the difficulty here is uniquely identifying the correct
> attached bundle to apply, once a patch has been amended or similar.

I was assuming that this was happening as the mail came in, before it
got injected into roundup.  It would use the first MIME attachment of
type text/x-darcs-patch (or whatever "darcs send" uses).  It would
simply ignore any mail that was sent without such an attachment
(i.e. people who send -O and then manually attach without setting the
appropriate MIME type).

> This has been a bit of a source of concern to me from the point of
> view of human confusion too. Perhaps amendments should become fresh
> items in the tracker?

I think that problem is orthogonal to the OP's problem :-)