[darcs-users] [patch39] darcs fetch

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Tue Nov 24 17:57:35 UTC 2009

Florent Becker wrote:
>> 6.  What are the alternative approaches to solving the same problem? Why
>> do we prefer this one?
>
> Other ways to do the same thing involve either relying on the patch cache,
> which is not darcsish and has interference with the possibility to clean
> it, or they use temporary repositories, which are heavyweight (if only
> because you need one working dir for each).

I see this as more reason to get --no-working-dir sorted out, first.
Also, there is another clear alternative:

1. Grep the remote inventory for the patch hashes you want
2. wget/scp the patches into the directory of your choice

We fight to keep darcs using normal file transfer tools and open
greppable formats and I, for one, am not convinced that the user stories
here are common enough to justify pretty commands with nice UI to do
what you can mostly do with existing file commands.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net