[darcs-users] sorry for the recent '(no subject)' noise

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Oct 1 01:22:09 UTC 2009

Eric Kow writes:

 > Nicolas and I had an offline discussion about issue1627 when we realised
 > that we were actually meaning for it to be online.  I *think* Nicolas
 > bounced the messages to the list so that everybody could see them (which
 > was good),

What happened is that he (or his software) included the From_
separator from a Unix mbox file in the SMTP DATA.  Any moderately
conformant receiver will interpret that as "oh, this mail has no
header", and you get the result you see.

 > but that somehow this did not play nicely with the mailing
 > list software.  Unfortunately, I'm not at all clear on the technical
 > details.  If somebody knows more about Mailman and why this is a no-no,
 > I'd be glad to hear about it :-)

It has nothing to do with Mailman, but rather (ab)use of a MUA.
Probably the one that identifies itself as "Sup/git".

HTH