[darcs-users] darcs patch: Rewrite "darcs diff" help.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Oct 5 10:05:28 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 18:40:22 +1000, Trent W.Buck wrote:
> Sat Oct  3 18:21:43 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
>   * Rewrite "darcs diff" help.

I'm not sure what to do with this patch, so I await your command

Rewrite "darcs diff" help.
--------------------------
> + "The `darcs diff' command compares two versions of the working tree of\n" ++
> + "the current repository.  Without options, the pristine (recorded) and\n" ++
> + "unrecorded working trees are compared.  This is equivalent to, but\n" ++
> + "slower than, the `darcs whatsnew' command, because `darcs diff' relies\n" ++
> + "on the external diff(1) utility.  As with `darcs whatsnew', if you\n" ++

Two comments about the equivalence between darcs diff and whatsnew.

1. darcs whatsnew provides higher-level information (mv foo bar; replace
   x y; changepref z w)

2. presumably what makes it slower is not that we are outsourcing to
   diff (1), but that in order to do so we first have to make two
   copies of the pristine cache on disk and unapply patches to
   both of them

Looks good to me otherwise.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9