[darcs-users] Regular Expression libraries and linker errors

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Mon Oct 5 14:28:13 UTC 2009

Hi,

Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> writes:
> In my travels profiling the performance of record I noticed that we do spend
> about 1/3 of the time just matching regular expressions on filenames.
Just one thing... do we match those on String or on ByteString? Because not
using String would probably lead to another substantial speedup on this. We may
also want to switch to regex-dfa, since I believe we only care whether we have
a match and not much else. But you are right that regex-pcre or pcre-light
might be faster (before deciding, it may make a lot of sense to benchmark both
in darcs, though).

Also, I'd say that working over ByteStrings should take priority, although it
may be quite tricky to do. I guess we obtain those filepaths from
System.Directory or such, which tends to work with String?

Yours,
   Petr.