[darcs-users] darcs patch: add utility functions to Commands.lhs (and 5 more)

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Mon Oct 5 17:13:23 UTC 2009

On 5 Oct 2009, at 18:39, Ben Franksen wrote:

> You have convinced me. I hadn't thought about shell aliases.
>
> So we have to make certain that whenever two options are allowed
> with some
> command, then either they are mutually exclusive (and the one given
> later
> will win) or else they should be orthogonal. Otherwise it will be
> very hard
> to predict outcome of darcs commands.

I would add that not only command line options should be handled this
way, but also the hardcoded defaults or options read from defaults
files. For example if I define quiet in the defaults file, but specify
---verbose on the command line, then the command line option should
win as it comes from a source with a higher priority (considering the
source order for options as: internal hardcoded defaults, global
defaults file, local defaults file and command line, with the later
sources having precedence over the former sources).

--
Dan