[darcs-users] Google Summer of Code 2010: It's not too early!

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Oct 5 17:24:39 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

OK, so Petr's Summer of Code project was fairly successful; it looks
like we'll be getting a faster day-to-day Darcs starting from version
2.4. How can we keep up the momentum?

  More Quality Hacking Time

Below is a small exchange between me and Leslie Hawthorn (Open Source
Program Manager at Google).

I had asked her if she could provide some suggestions on how Darcs could
improve its application to be a Google Summer of Code Mentoring
organisation and she very kindly responded some specific points about
the Darcs application.

My comments below hers.  Note that if you're thinking of becoming a GSoC
student with the Darcs project, now might be a good time to voice your
interest :-)

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 09:25:05 -0700, Leslie Hawthorn wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> You'll have to excuse this mail, as my notes are several months old so I'm
> not as fresh in my recollections as I'd hope to be. First note, we weren't
> as excited as we could have been about another version control system. The
> other note I have is that your ideas list [0] could use some work and in
> taking a look at it now there are many links to other resources but very
> little by way of specing out each idea. The list looks a bit spartan and not
> well thought through, which is always a red flag for us.
>
> I would say that if you are interested in working through the GSoC program
> again, do so again with the Haskell folks. They have done well with us in
> the past and you are better off under their umbrella than applying on your
> own. We may be able to wrangle an extra slot or two for them if they are
> acting as an umbrella org for darcs.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> [0] - http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/GoogleSummerOfCode
>
> Best,
> LH

So putting Leslie's comments into my language.

(1) We did not do a good enough job conveying why Darcs is different to
    deserve Hack Time.  We need to think harder about getting this point
    across: Darcs is different.

(2) We did not work hard enough on our ideas page

(3) Very intriguing: we might be able to reach an agreement with
    Haskell.org to serve as an umbrella organisation for us perhaps with
    some sort of unwritten understanding that Google would find an extra
    slot or two.

Note that Leslie's comments about the ideas page refers to this version:
  http://wiki.darcs.net/GoogleSummerOfCode?revision=20091005125107-1b4b2-d7722757e3ace914f94143d19228dd0ea4cf8ffa.gz

I have since started trimming it down and fleshing it out.  I think
this year we should just focus on three areas: performance, GUI and
SVN integration.

  http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/GoogleSummerOfCode

Here was my original enquiry:

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:09 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
>
> > Dear Leslie Hawthorn,
> >
> > The Darcs project <http://darcs.net> would like to apply as a mentoring
> > organisation for the 2010 Summer of Code programme.  We made an attempt
> > for this year (2009), but did not make the cut.  Luckily, Haskell.org
> > were kind enough to offer us one of their slots, which helped us to get
> > some important work done.
> >
> > I was wondering: would it be possible to get some ideas about how to
> > improve our application so that we have a better chance of succeeding
> > next year?  Any advice would be appreciated, but some thoughts about why
> > Darcs in particular was ranked lower would be extremely helpful.
> >
> > Many thanks!
> >
> > Eric

Thanks!