[darcs-users] darcs patch: Resolve issue1447

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Oct 7 16:42:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 18:29:59 +0200, mf-hcafe-15c311f0c at etc-network.de wrote:
> This address looks temporary, but it's not :).  It is part of my spam
> protection strategy, which is as complicated as it is ad-hoc and
> poorly implemented.  Anyhow I can promise I won't kill the address any
> time soon, so if at all possible I'd like to keep using it here.

Sounds good!

> > Resolve issue1447: different online help for send/apply --reply
>
> "--cc", not "--reply".  But ok, I'll do that.

Whoops.

> > I'm not going to being picky for just this little thing, but if you want
> > to be, the new hunk editing feature in the darcs darcs could be useful.
> > Perhaps a little darcs unrecord and record.
>
> Ok, clutter is gone.  (I was aware of this point, but hoping to sneak
> it through anyway. :-)

Feel free to tack on a separate patch for that.  I don't think anybody
minds clean-up patches of the sort (although depending on how you go
about it, you may either get minor grumbling about history pollution or
gratuitous conflicts... we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!)

Attention to detail matters.

> Wed Oct  7 18:22:40 CEST 2009  mf-hcafe-15c311f0c at etc-network.de
>   * Resolve issue1447: different online help for send/apply --cc

Also, ah-hah!  I tried to apply this, but I got

$ darcs apply --interactive /tmp/resolve-issue1447_-different-online-help-for-send_apply-__cc.dpatch
darcs: bug in get_extra commuting patches:
First patch is:
Tue Aug 11 23:06:16 BST 2009  Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva <marcot at riseup.net>
  * Regression test for issue1317.
Second patch is:
Mon Aug 24 12:04:37 BST 2009  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Mark issue1317 test as failing (and note issue number).

Good.  Dog food.  Yum.  The xmonad team are suffering from exactly this same problem
now documented as a troubleshooting FAQ
  http://wiki.darcs.net/Troubleshooting#bug%20in%20get_extra%20commuting%20patch

The problem is that for some reason, this utf-8 encoded bundle got translated
somewhere into ISO8859-1.  It was a faithful conversion, no problem there, and
easy to undo with

  iconv -f iso8859-1 -t utf-8 old-patch > new-patch

But I can imagine it's scary for somebody who doesn't know what to expect!
Indeed, it was scary for us too until we got a better understanding of what
was going on (rather recently).  There have been some recent discussions on
the IRC channel about what we can do about this.

May be worth starting a new email thread for and/or bug-tracker entry.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9