[darcs-users] darcs patch: More online help for --sendmail-command and SENDMAIL

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Oct 8 06:21:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Trent W. Buck <twb at cybersource.com.au>wrote:

> Warning: I am not pulling punches in this review.  Please understand
> this is a critique of the patch, not a personal attack on anybody.

Same here.  I have a few, extremely minor comments below.

> > - "provide an explicit path to this program; otherwise the standard",
> > - "locations /usr/sbin/sendmail and /usr/lib/sendmail will be tried."])
> > + "provide an explicit path to this program.  If `--sendmail-command'
> is",
> > + "not present, $SENDMAIL is used; if both are not present, the
> standard",
> > + "locations /usr/sbin/sendmail and /usr/lib/sendmail are used.  (Other",
>
> What was the rationale for the rewording above?

As long as it's technically correct, I think the rewording is nice because
it gives a clear picture of the order of defaulting.

> > + "If your machine has no working MTA (mail server), it may loose your",
> > + "e-mails without telling you.  In that case, take a look at msmtp and",
> > + "the offline wrapper msmtp-runqueue.sh.",
> > + "Example: `--sendmail-command=\"/usr/local/bin/msmtp-enqueue.sh -a me
> %<\"'",
> > + "(Without %<, the e-mail is not piped into your MTA's stdin.)"])

I think Knuth[1] makes a pretty convincing argument for "email" instead of
"e-mail":

> A note on email versus e-mail
>
> Newly coined nonce words of English are often spelled with a hyphen, but
> the hyphen disappears when the words become widely used. For example, people
> used to write ``non-zero'' and ``soft-ware'' instead of ``nonzero'' and
> ``software''; the same trend has occurred for hundreds of other words. Thus
> it's high time for everybody to stop using the archaic spelling ``e-mail''.
> Think of how many keystrokes you will save in your lifetime if you stop now!
> The form ``email'' has been well established in England for several years,
> so I am amazed to see Americans being overly conservative in this regard.
> (Of course, ``email'' has been a familiar word in France, Germany, and the
> Netherlands much longer than in England --- but for an entirely different
> reason.)

[1] http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/email.html

Jason