[darcs-users] darcs patch: More online help for --sendmail-command and SENDMAIL

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Thu Oct 8 07:13:29 UTC 2009

Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Trent W. Buck <twb at cybersource.com.au>wrote:
>
>> Warning: I am not pulling punches in this review.  Please understand
>> this is a critique of the patch, not a personal attack on anybody.
>>

> Same here.  I have a few, extremely minor comments below.
>

>> > - "provide an explicit path to this program; otherwise the standard",
>> > - "locations /usr/sbin/sendmail and /usr/lib/sendmail will be tried."])
>> > + "provide an explicit path to this program.  If `--sendmail-command'
>> is",
>> > + "not present, $SENDMAIL is used; if both are not present, the
>> standard",
>> > + "locations /usr/sbin/sendmail and /usr/lib/sendmail are used.  (Other",
>>
>> What was the rationale for the rewording above?
>>

> As long as it's technically correct, I think the rewording is nice because
> it gives a clear picture of the order of defaulting.

Good point; it clarifies the first two, but muddies the second two.  The
layout I used more recently is:

    fileHelpAuthor :: [String]
    fileHelpAuthor = [
     "Each patch is attributed to its author, usually by email address (for",
     "example, `Fred Bloggs <fred at example.net>').  Darcs looks in several",
     "places for this author string: the --author option, the files",
     "_darcs/prefs/author (in the repository) and ~/.darcs/author (in your",
     "home directory), and the environment variables $DARCS_EMAIL and",
     "$EMAIL.  If none of those exist, Darcs will prompt you for an author",
     "string and write it to _darcs/prefs/author."]

i.e. "tries n things: first a, then b, then c, and finally d."