[darcs-users] darcs-benchmark

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Oct 8 21:58:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 14:23:30 -0700, Simon Michael wrote:
> I wonder what's current best practice for darcs benchmarking. I
> guess the cheapest way to get some comparable numbers is to track
> the speed of operations on the latest darcs repo - it's reasonably
> sized and usually available...

The good news: We have this tool called 'darcs-benchmark', which you can
install with 'cabal install darcs-benchmark'

  http://wiki.darcs.net/Development/Benchmarks

The bad news is that we're having some (hopefully!) temporary problems
with that, notably:

$ darcs-benchmark --get
downloading and extracting:
http://repos.mornfall.net/darcs/benchmark-repos/ghc-hashed.tgz
darcs-benchmark: Codec.Compression.Zlib: incorrect header check

Petr: any chance you'd be able to take a look?

Darcs-benchmark certainly does not do everything we would want, yet but
I hope we can turn it into the one best practice for generating hard
performance numbers.  Hacking on this could be a good way to contribute
to the performance effort...