[darcs-users] _darcs/prefs/email in patch-tag.com repos

Eric Y. Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Oct 11 07:44:48 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 22:19:12 -0700, thomas hartman wrote:
> quoth Max Batcher on the darcs users mailing list: "Darcs send checks
> "upstream" in order to determine which patches need to be sent, just
> like darcs push, and just like darcs push it defaults this check to
> _darcs/prefs/defaultrepo. Darcs doesn't copy the _darcs/prefs/email,
> it simply expects to be provided a remote repo."
>
> So, it seems creating the _darcs/prefs/email won't do anything useful.

I'm sure you saw Trent's explanation on the darcs-users mailing list,
but just in case: darcs uses the *remote* _darcs/prefs/email to
determine where to send the email to, so it would be very useful indeed.

I realise that our use of _darcs/prefs is very confusing because we
use the same directory for three very different things:

  remote prefs:
    - motd <-- this could also be useful for patch-taggers
    - email
  local prefs:
    - author
    - defaultrepo
    - defaults
    - sources
    - boring
    - binaries
  internal metadata:
    - prefs <-- used by setpref

Darcs users/hackers : perhaps a good thing would be for future darcs to
have a _darcs/localprefs to avoid this confusion.  I don't think there
is much we can do about _darcs/prefs/prefs, on the other hand.

Regards,