[darcs-users] [darcs-devel] [issue1648] darcs apply -i <foo.dpatch is wrong

Reinier Lamers tux_rocker at reinier.de
Mon Oct 12 20:30:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

Op maandag 12 oktober 2009 14:23 schreef Stephen J. Turnbull:
> Trent W. Buck writes:
>
>  > > You can read directly from the terminal by opening "/dev/tty".
>  >
>  > Hmm... is it *always* /dev/tty?  I thought it was e.g. /dev/pts/73
>  > sometimes.
>
> On the systems I know of /dev/tty will always work.  It may be an
> alias for /dev/pts/73, though.  But ... less works over an ssh
> connection, and obviously opening /dev/tty isn't the right thing
> there.

AFAICT the kernel performs some magic and gives any process that opens
"/dev/tty" a handle to the terminal that it's actually on. I don't know
what rules it uses to determine which terminal a process "is actually on",
but it seems to do so very well.

Anyway I can do a "echo aargh > /dev/tty" in my KDE terminal emulator
and see the output.

Reinier