[darcs-users] Error on systems with case insensitive filesystems

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Sat Oct 17 01:44:24 UTC 2009

I should also mention that not only darcs wh -sl fails. Any operation
that tries to add a file to darcs fails (darcs add or darcs record --
look-for-adds).
I should also mention that from the moment the repo was get fresh and
it didn't exhibit the error, up to the moment where it exhibited the
error after the build and when there were many files under the build
directory, no darcs command was run. The first command was darcs wh -
sl. After removing the build directory and all the files generated
during the build, no other command than darcs wh -sl was run, and as I
mentioned in the beginning, it kept failing even after the repo was
cleaned.

On 17 Oct 2009, at 04:31, Dan Pascu wrote:

> Is it normal to see this error, when running a darcs 2.2.0 binary on
> a OSX system (case insensitive filesystem) and with a hashed
> repository?
>
> $ darcs wh -sl
>
> darcs failed:  Text.Regex.Posix.String died: (ReturnCode 14,"empty
> (sub)expression")
>
> Without -l works just fine:
>
> $ darcs wh -s
> No changes!
>
> If I freshly get the repo, it all works fine, until I build the
> project, which creates a lot of files under a build directory,
> including fetching a full svn repository in there and building it.
> At that point (when all is built), if I run darcs wh -sl, I get that
> error. After that, even if I clean the build and remove the build
> directory completely, darcs wh -sl keeps giving the above error.
> Which goes away if I get a fresh repo again.
>
> I was under the impression that with darcs 2 and using a hashed
> repo, I should not see that kind of error on a system with a case
> insensitive filesystem. On linux with ext3 I never see this issue.
>
> --
> Dan

Dan