[darcs-users] Error on systems with case insensitive filesystems

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Sat Oct 17 02:25:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> wrote:

> Is it normal to see this error, when running a darcs 2.2.0 binary on a OSX
> system (case insensitive filesystem) and with a hashed repository?
>
> $ darcs wh -sl
>
> darcs failed:  Text.Regex.Posix.String died: (ReturnCode 14,"empty
> (sub)expression")

This is speculation that requires investigation, but I bet you're
experiencing some sort of problem with regular expressions from either the
boring file or the binary file.

Have you set either of those files to reside outside of _darcs?  If so, is
it possible your other steps (such as the svn checkout) is writing over
those files with regular expressions that darcs doesn't like?  Really, it
would be an expression that regex-posix doesn't like.

If you haven't changed the default boring and binaries files to reside
outside of _darcs, does anything change them in _darcs?

Can you do a diff between a repo where you get the error and an repo where
you do not?  I'm thinking of the unix command diff, like:
diff -u good/_darcs/prefs/binaries bad/_darcs/prefs/binaries

Also, it's possible that the regexes to match against .svn directories is
bad.  I wonder how often they get tested.  Those regexes would be in the
boring file, by the way.

I hope that helps,
Jason