[darcs-users] darcs patch: Move a couple of low-level pending bits ... (and 2 more)

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon Oct 19 03:59:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> wrote:
>
>> Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> writes:
>>
>> > What is the distinction between LowLevel and Internal?  I don't
>> understand how
>> > this change improves things.  Internal is already meant to be private
>> and
>> > whatnot.  Now I'm confused by the distinction between LowLevel and
>> Internal.
>> > Could you clarify the rationale?
>> Sure, the Internal module is a big mish-mash of interdependent
>> functionality. The problem is that separating parts of the Internal
>> functionality in State led to a situation, where State depends on
>> Internal. However, Internal now relies on readRecorded from
>> Repository.State,
>> and therefore State cannot import Internal anymore, lest a dependency
>> cycle
>> forms. Therefore, I've moved things that are needed by Repository.State
>> but do
>> not need anything from Internal to a separate module. I intend to move
>> more
>> such bits into that module later.
>>
>> For reference, I first tried to separate the functions for handling
>> "pending"
>> state into a separate Repository.Pending, but this would again lead to
>> dependency cycles: make_new_pending needs readRecorded from State,
>> unrecordedChanges in State need read_pending. Fortunately, read_pending is
>> very low-level piece of code that basically doesn't do anything other than
>> deserialize the primitive patches in the pending file.
>>

> I think you've convinced me.
>
> I likely won't find time to apply this until Saturday.  I do think it
> should go in (and others are welcome to push it if I'm too slow).  I would
> still like to see before and after numbers for the last patch, but not a
> requirement.

Petr,

I apologize for taking so long to apply this patch.  Now there is a
conflict:
Backing up ./src/Darcs/Commands/Put.lhs(-darcs-backup0)
There are conflicts in the following files:
./src/Darcs/Commands/Put.lhs

Could you please look into resolving this conflict and sending me a new
bundle?

I'm sorry for being slow and creating this inconvenience.

Sorry!
Jason