[darcs-users] darcs under Cygwin

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Oct 19 12:12:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 20:32:08 -0600, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> Here are some packages of darcs, cygwin bash wrapper script, and putty:
>
> http://zooko.com/darcs/
>
> I'm not sure why someone unlinked these from the "Binaries" page.  I
> remember Eric Kow saying something to the effect that the darcs project
> couldn't support cygwin but as far as I know those packages work okay.

That was my doing.  The patch in question was:

Wed Sep 16 12:37:52 BST 2009  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Kill some dead Windows links.

(darcs get --lazy http://wiki.darcs.net; darcs changes Binaries.page)

Sorry, Zooko; I messed up by not giving you any advance warning before
deleting those links. :-(  A better reaction (on my part) to just
removing the links may have been something along the lines of "Zooko,
please update your Cygwin binaries"

I believe my reasons for doing this were a combination of the links being out
of date and our (my?) policy of not officially supporting Cygwin.  I certainly
respect and appreciate the work you've been doing to make Cygwinners' life
easier (not having to cygpath or write silly Windows paths).

As for the policy itself, that is merely a problem of (human) resource
allocation. I know tools like Cygwin are important to a lot of Windows
users, and can certainly be persuaded to change my mind *if* we had a
user that was able and willing to make a formal commitment to supporting
Cygwin.  This means promptly updating the binaries and taking on bug
reports that are Cygwin-specific.  For the interested, here is a list of
open and wont-fix bugs that have 'Cygwin' in the body:
http://tinyurl.com/yjrdtn8

> In any case whoever unlinked my packages from the Binaries page ought to
> clean up so the remaining text doesn't talk about the packages any more.

Done.

Thanks!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9