[darcs-users] darcs under Cygwin

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Oct 20 08:05:42 UTC 2009

I'm removing Emily from this discussion to avoid spamming her
(although she's getting this in Bcc to know...)

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:05:39 -0600, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> I certainly can't commit to promptly updating my cygwin packages
> when new darcs's are released.

Right: it doesn't have to be Zooko, but I think we would be much more
willing to pay attention to Cygwin-related issues if *somebody* was able
to step up to the plate.

Otherwise, we direct most of our attention on core issues including
basic Windows support.

> I just have way too much going on, most recently a new baby! :-)

:-)

> Please note that several of the platforms listed on http://
> wiki.darcs.net/Binaries have darcs binaries at least as old as 2.0,
> including Mac OS 10.5 and 10.4 and all Mac OS/PPC and Solaris.
> Maybe my darcs-2.0.0 cygwin binary could be linked on that page as
> being an "older" version like those other ones?

Windows is peculiar for us in that (a) it's extremely popular and
(b) very few Darcs hackers use it on a regular basis.  This made it
important for us to dedicate a Czar to the platform (hi!).

And for such a peculiar situation, I really think we should keep the
story simple.  Given the choice between one fresh binary, and one
fresh plus one stale binary in which people would be strongly tempted
to use the latter, I would rather have just the one.  If we had two
fresh binaries, that would be different

> My intuition is that this would serve cygwin users like Emily better
> than using the Windows binaries (more because of the putty integration
> and install instructions than because of the cygpath integration).

Well we have http://wiki.darcs.net/WindowsConfiguration that Emily
pointed out.  The patch-tag folks have also written up a tutorial on
setting up Darcs with Windows and Putty...

http://blog.patch-tag.com/2009/03/01/howto-setup-windows-for-use-with-darcs2-and-patch-tag/

> It would certainly make it more likely that I might spontaneously
> update my package or look at those bug reports, but on the other hand
> I'm not committing to doing so.

I'd suggest putting your wrapper up in a Darcs repository somewhere
and setting _darcs/prefs/email so that you can receive patches.  It
may trigger a diffusion of responsibility effect, but since you're
not in a position to commit to maintaining the Cygwin wrapper for the
moment (for good reason!), it's better than nothing :-)

Best regards,