[darcs-users] Error on systems with case insensitive filesystems

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon Oct 26 14:41:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> wrote:

> I should reiterate that this only happens on OS X, where the filesystem is
> case insensitive. I have no problem with any version of darcs on a linux
> system with ext3.
>

> On 26 Oct 2009, at 13:29, Dan Pascu wrote:
>
>> Given that the core.c seem to give me troubles, I do not think it's the
>> .svn regexp, but the regexp for corefiles. My .boring file looks like this:
>>
>> # Boring file regexps:
>> (^|/)_darcs($|/)
>> (^|/)CVS($|/)
>> (^|/)\.svn($|/)
>> (^|/)\.DS_Store$
>> (^|/)Thumbs\.db$
>> \#
>> ~$
>> (^|/)core(\.[0-9]+|)$
>> \.(pyc|pyo|o|so|orig|bak|BAK|prof|wpu|cvsignore)$
>> (^|/)build($|/)
>> (^|/)dist($|/)
>> ^MANIFEST$
>>
>> Does anyone spot anything wrong with then corefile regexp? As I read it it
>> should never match core.c, only core or core.NNNN with NNNN being digits.

What does (^|/) match?  Similarly, (\.[0-9]+|)$ is odd to me.  I just looked
at the pcrepattern, regex, and re_format man pages on linux and the only
meaning for | that I could find is to separate two or more alternatives.  I
did learn that character classes should be preferred over ranges for
portability (although, I don't see how an implementation could screw up on
[0-9] and still be a correct implementation).

Is it possible that the second | in the pattern for core files is erroneous?
 Perhaps the linux posix library for regular expressions ignores the error
(or maybe it's not even an error) while the os x implementation complains?

Thanks for the update,
Jason