[darcs-users] Installing darcs 2.3.1 on OS X is a royal pain

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Sat Oct 31 07:39:45 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

>> - Went down a dead-end by misreading the build-it-yourself instructions at
>> <http://www.darcs.net/manual/node8.html>. Looked at Setup, figured out that
>> it's not a shell script, but rather Haskell.
>
> Anything we can do to improve this?

It looks pretty straightforward to me.  I don't know why the OP thought
Setup would be a shell script, or why it would matter that it wasn't.

>> - Tried "ghci Setup.lhs configure" and so on, ran into issues with
>>   missing packages.

Note that in the node8 link above, we use ghc --make instead of runghc
because (I'm told) the latter isn't available on some architectures.

> Right, this is why we really encourage people to use cabal-install

Which is exactly what node8 says to use.

> Great.  One thing I do is to just download the Haskell Platform
> via http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/

Is it worth mentioning haskell-platform in the node8 page?