[darcs-users] Error on systems with case insensitive filesystems

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Sat Oct 31 07:51:40 UTC 2009

Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> writes:

> I should reiterate that this only happens on OS X, where the
> filesystem is case insensitive. I have no problem with any version of
> darcs on a linux system with ext3.

Linux also supports case-insensitive filesystems (HFS, HFS+, FAT), and
could conceivably use these for testing.  Something like this:

    aptitude install hfsprogs
    dd bs=1 count=0 seek=1G of=sparsefile
    mkfs.hfs sparsefile
    mkdir /mnt/bugger
    mount -o loop sparsefile /mnt/bugger
    darcs get http://darcs.net/ /mnt/bugger/darcs
    cd /mnt/bugger/darcs
    map cabal -- configure build test

Incidentally, ISTR that HFS+ filesystems can be case-sensitive, but OS X
doesn't support this for the root filesystem.