[darcs-users] the darcs.net patch tracker

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Sat Oct 31 08:24:22 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> The patch tracker is now part of the general darcs issue tracker.

Eric, a bunch of patches sent *before* this change are not yet applied.
What is the procedure to get these into the tracker?  Will you just
bounce them all, or should patch authors resend them, or what?

> * Reviewing patches on the tracker is not easy; you can't view the
>   patch inline (this is an unintentional flaw)

If this is because clicking on a patch attachment in the web UI causes
firefox to download it, you may have success by sticking "view-source:"
in front of the URL in the address bar.

This is an old trick I used to use when browsing text files without
extensions (e.g. .ssh/config), where the HTTPd couldn't guess the MIME
type and would claim the file was application/octet-stream.

> * You cannot easily view the discussion on the patch tracker.
>   Right now the workaround is to visit the mailing list (the web
>   UI has a link to the archives).

Would it help if patch objects had downloadable mboxes, like issues
currently do?  I guess most people don't work that way; shrug.

> - Not yet implemented
>   - web form to submit a new patch

This can be a separate, dumb piece of CGI, since all it needs to do is
turn the input of an HTML FORM into an email.  (Not necessarily the best
way to do it, but certainly *a* way to do it.)