[darcs-users] proposal: add Jason Dagit to the Review Team

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Sep 1 02:41:47 UTC 2009

Reinier Lamers writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > On Sunday 30 August 2009 11:08:34 Eric Y. Kow wrote:
 > > I propose that Jason Dagit be added to the Review Team with the usual
 > > commit bit privileges and responsibilities.
 >
 > +1.
 >
 > But does Jason himself agree?

The way we handle "reviewers are busy" on XEmacs Review is simply to
ask reviewers to let us know if they're going to take a vacation.  If
they disappear without notice, after a couple of months we turn off
their bit (just paranoia, no "malice" toward the individual) and list
them as "Emeritus".  If they decide they want to commit, we restore
immediately.  Reviewers "on vacation" usually continue to contribute
the occasional comment so we know that they are there.

We've talked about it, but aside from explicit resignation, we decided
that there just aren't "generic" reasons for removing commit bits
(except for security paranoia).  It turns out that nobody really
expects reviewers to be available 24x7.  Other reviewers just wait a
few days, and if nobody else pipes up, I (I'm the kowey-equivalent)
ping the reviewer I think most appropriate.  Sometimes I get lucky,
but more usually, I get a "sorry, I'm busy" and bounce it back to the
list with the comment that whoever was busy, and we iterate.

This works fine for us (currently there are about 7 reviewers more or
less active, about 20 altogether, to give an idea of scalability),
YMMV.