[darcs-users] darcs patch: Split tags/TAGS target into tags/etags.

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue Sep 1 05:48:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Eric Kow<kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
> I'm not particularly expecting this to be applied, just noting that make tags
> didn't work for me in vim unless I did something like this.  Could somebody
> work out the right way to do this?

It used to work for me, out of the box, when we used autoconf/make.
My default editor is emacs not vim.

These days, I think we should be trying scion:
http://code.google.com/p/scion-lib/

There was a recent release here boasting cool features:
http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell-cafe@haskell.org/msg63856.html

> Scion's current features include:
>
> - Opening (that is, typechecking) a component of a Cabal project or a
>   single file [Emacs, Vim]. Error messages are highlighted in the
>   source [Emacs].
>
> - Saving a file automatically typechecks the file [Emacs, Vim].
>   This feature can be turned off.
>

> - Look up the type of any identifier (even local variables) [Emacs, Vim].
>
>   Requires that the file typechecks.
>
> - Jump to definition of an identifier defined in the current project
>   [Emacs].

The feature set above makes tags pale in comparison.  Sadly the last
one is the only one that really makes Scion a superset of tags and
it's emacs only.  Guess you'll have to start using emacs :)

> Sat Aug 29 14:15:39 CEST 2009  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
>  * Split tags/TAGS target into tags/etags.
>  The previous combined target does not appear to generate tag files that
>  vim can recognise.

I didn't try your patch so I won't comment further.

Jason