[darcs-users] darcs patch: change the kind of the witness types

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Thu Sep 3 00:09:41 UTC 2009

Thu Sep  3 01:07:22 BST 2009  Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>
  * change the kind of the witness types

  A problem with the type witnesses combined with the EqCheck type and
  unsafeCoerceP is that they can be abused to coerce concrete types. By
  changing the kind of the witnesses to something obscure (and arbitrarily
  chosen), this danger should be minimised.

  Unfortunately this change causes a flood of GHC warnings in the witnesses
  build caused by http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/959, and a single
  warning about an unused data constructor that I had to add because I can't
  figure out how to get empty data decls with a kind signature in GHC 6.10.4.