[darcs-users] [issue1588] option for darcs pull to just get non-conflicting patches

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Sep 6 08:36:07 UTC 2009

Hi Ganesh,

I'm transferring the discussion for issue1588 to darcs-users :-)
We'll have to remember to follow up later.

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 22:45:39 +0000, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> I'm not actually convinced that what's needed for this bug is the same as for
> issue1263; in particular --match is about existing properties of patches whereas
> the option to pull would be more about potential conflicts. It also has to cover
> conflicting patches and dependencies of conflicts, whereas a --match option
> might well not do that.

Well matchers already deal with dependencies (or rather darcs operations
that deal with matchers).

One point is that if we were to implement issue1263, we would either
have to disable the conflicted matcher for pull, limit its meaning to
refer to a property of the candidate patch wrt the remote repository or
enable it but have the matcher also compute conflictedness in the
current context.  I thought that from a UI perspective, it would be
more consistent to enable the conflicted matcher at all times.

At the risk of rambling incoherently: I imagine that making this work
would be hard because now you can't do matching in a separate pass from
pulling.  Conflictedness would have to be measured in the context of
each patch as you go. Yuck.  I wonder how we deal with the touch
matcher.  For example how does pull --match 'touch foo' interact with
context where things have renamed foo, or renamed things to foo?

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9