[darcs-users] darcs patch: Remove home-grown UTF-8 decoder, use utf... (and 1 more)

Reinier Lamers tux_rocker at reinier.de
Sun Sep 6 16:54:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sunday 06 September 2009 15:28:11 you wrote:
> I'm not sure, but I'd guess that the "locale" command is not available at
> least on Windows, but its manpage doesn't mention it being part of POSIX
> and instead says it was written for glibc, which may be a further
> portability problem. I'd suggest doing a

Good point.

> if which locale; then
>    latin9_locale=latin9_locale=`locale -a | grep @euro | head -n 1`
> else
>    latin9_locale=en_US.ISO-8859-1
> fi
>
> or if it is really required, exit 200 in the else branch.

At least my Ubuntu doesn't actually use a locale it doesn't recognize. So when
you just set your LC_ALL to say that you want latin1, but you have not enabled
the latin1 locale you specified, it will use the C locale. That's the problem
I tackled with the 'locale -a | grep' stuff. If we exit 200 in the else
branch, we may be effectively testing this on Linux only, which is not good
either.

Maybe locale-switching is inherently unportable and we have to settle for
testing this only on Linux. But maybe our Unix guru Trent knows a way out?

Bye,
Reinier

PS: Petr: I accidentally sent this only to you first, I'm sorry :-(