[darcs-users] [issue1588] option for darcs pull to just get non-conflicting patches

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Sep 6 19:52:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Eric Kow wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 20:24:47 +0100, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>>> Well matchers already deal with dependencies (or rather darcs operations
>>> that deal with matchers).
>>
>> OK, I wasn't sure about that, thanks.
>
> I'm not sure where the smarts are: I guess they're not in the matchers
> themselves because darcs changes (for example) doesn't care about
> dependencies.  Perhaps it's the first-middle-last cleverness in
> SelectChanges that does it.

Yes, that seems likely.

>> Agreed, we should definitely enable the conflicted matcher at all times
>> once it exists, but I also think that what it matches in a given repo
>> shouldn't change depending on what command is run, which pushes us into
>> the implementation for pull being "property of the candidate patch wrt
>> the remote repository".
>
> Would it really change what it matches on?  Doesn't "this patch would
> match conflicted if we pulled it" give the same result as it would if we
> had pulled it and then darcs changes?

Hmm, I see. My point was that it should be the same as 'darcs changes' in
the remote repo before the pull, whereas yours is that it should be the
same as 'darcs changes' in the local repo after the pull.

I still lean somewhat towards my view, because it's (a) easier to
implement and (b) it's what the 'touch' matcher already does.

>> So overall I think the conflicted matcher would be independent of the
>> option to darcs pull that does know about conflicts that *would* happen
>> rather than those that have already happened, and these bugs should stay
>> split.
>
> I still think these are the same, but I might be missing something, so
> if they are not the same, then I guess --skip-conflicts might be a
> name we could use for it.

That name sounds fine to me, but I'm still interested in opinions on
whether --dont-allow-conflicts should instead be repurposed to just omit
conflicting patches from those offered.

Cheers,

Ganesh