[darcs-users] regression tests (Was: Re: [issue716] ...)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Sep 8 03:45:50 UTC 2009

Hi Sam,

I hope you don't mind me redirecting this to the mailing list.

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 20:43:04 -0400, Samuel Bronson wrote:
> > Perhaps you could write a failing regression test for this?
> >  http://wiki.darcs.net/RegressionTests
>
> Wouldn't it be easier for you to do it? I assume you remember how to
> write darcs regression tests, and a test that just uses "exit 1" as
> the initialization command should fit the bill nicely ...

I like to farm out the writing of regression tests to the original
submitter (if I can) for several reasons

1. A lot of my issue tracking is sort of looking at shapes of bug
   reports rather than deeply understanding the report itself.
   It's a sort of a superficial high throughput approach designed to
   help me stay on top of things rather than to deeply understand
   everything.

2. Sometimes the original submitter has an understanding of the bug
   that isn't easy to convey in a message.

3. Writing the regression test also helps to think about what you
   *really* want to do.

4. Sowing out skills for contributing to darcs.  I want as many
   people as possible to know how to do darcs developer jobs.
   Also part of this is training users to submit bug reports
   efficiently (eg. by including regression tests).

5. Training as many darcs users as possible to think of themselves as
   *contributors* to darcs.  We are always starving for Darcs hackers
   and hacking time, so every little helps.

So just trying to think long term here :-)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9