[darcs-users] New IO System in GHC (no more utf8-string?)

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Tue Sep 8 19:12:25 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been meaning to write up an update of darcs-relevant things from
ICFP, but haven't got round to it, and this is one of them.

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Jason Dagit wrote:

> It was just brought to my attention that GHC is getting a new IO system.
> I'm not sure which release this will debut in, maybe 6.12.

Yep.

>  As I understand it, we won't need utf8-string anymore once this hits.

That's correct (well, once we've dropped support for 6.10, which I guess
is a couple of years off). One thing we need to check for is that we're
not doing openFile rather than openBinaryFile on a binary file and then
expecting to get back a list of Chars that are actually Word8 - because
that assumption will suddenly break - but it's unlikely we are doing that
given that it would also break line-ending characters on Windows if we
did.

Cheers,

Ganesh