[darcs-users] aliases for repositories

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Wed Sep 9 02:29:30 UTC 2009

Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> writes:

> On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 05:55:14 +0200
> Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 11:29:09 +1000, Trent W. Buck wrote:
>> > It doesn't cover one of mine: pulling via HTTP, and pushing via SSH.
>> > Pulling via SSH would probably work, but would require more bandwidth.
>>
>> See --remote-repo
>
> What's the useful of this, instead of using --no-set-default and specifying
> the alternate URL that way?
>
> Would this be primarily for setting a preference, like to say that
> when I pull, I want to pull from the "Foo" repo, unless I explicity
> give another URL to override it?
>
> Now that I thought through it, I suppose that's exactly what's it's for. :)

Ah, so in addition to "ALL no-set-default" in ~/.darcs/defaults, and a
default repo for pull/send in _darcs/prefs/defaultrepo, I would add
"push remote-repo <ssh URL>" to the per-repo _darcs/prefs/prefs.

This is a piece of functionality I didn't know about, so clearly its
discoverability needs to be improved.

PS: it's a major PITA to remember to re-set _darcs/prefs/prefs whenever
I make a feature branch from such a repo (with per-repo preferences).