[darcs-users] buildslaves sought

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Wed Sep 9 02:55:32 UTC 2009

twb at cybersource.com.au (Trent W. Buck) writes:

> Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Petr Rockai wrote:
>>
>>> The instructions are at the wiki: http://wiki.darcs.net/Development/BuildBot
>>
>> Do you have any advice for installing buildbot on Debian? It's in
>> Debian so it installs fine, but the buildbot gets a shell of
>> /bin/false and a home dir in /var/lib/buildbot which is a bit messy
>> for running cabal install as that user - in particular I can't seem to
>> trivially get a shell with the right $HOME set.
>
> sudo -H -u buildbot bash -l (untested)?

I got part of the way:

  $ sudo aptitude install buildbot
  [...]
  $ sudo -u buildbot -H ~/.cabal/bin/cabal update
  Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
  $ sudo -u buildbot -H ~/.cabal/bin/cabal install cabal-install
  Resolving dependencies...
  Downloading cabal-install-0.6.2...
  Configuring cabal-install-0.6.2...
  Preprocessing executables for cabal-install-0.6.2...
  Building cabal-install-0.6.2...
  [...]

Unfortunately I can't work out how to make .cabal/bin/cabal visible to
buildbot without resorting to chsh:

    $ sudo -u buildbot which cabal
    $ sudo -u buildbot ln -s .cabal/bin ~buildbot/.bin
    $ sudo -u buildbot which cabal
    $ sudo -u buildbot env | grep PATH
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin