[darcs-users] New IO System in GHC (no more utf8-string?)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Sep 9 06:21:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 20:12:25 +0100, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>> It was just brought to my attention that GHC is getting a new IO system.
>> I'm not sure which release this will debut in, maybe 6.12.
>
> Yep.
>
>>  As I understand it, we won't need utf8-string anymore once this hits.

In case this helps, here is the obligatory utf-8 patch metadata bug
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue64

> That's correct (well, once we've dropped support for 6.10, which I guess
> is a couple of years off). One thing we need to check for is that we're
> not doing openFile rather than openBinaryFile on a binary file and then
> expecting to get back a list of Chars that are actually Word8 - because
> that assumption will suddenly break - but it's unlikely we are doing that
> given that it would also break line-ending characters on Windows if we
> did.

Would we not need to be doing openBinaryFile on all files text and
binary alike?

 [I'm assuming we need to retain the behaviour of being completely
  encoding agnostic wrt to file contents except for expecting
  newlines]

http://bugs.darcs.net/issue267 may be of interest