[darcs-users] buildslaves sought

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Wed Sep 9 09:49:36 UTC 2009

twb at cybersource.com.au (Trent W. Buck) writes:

>> Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> writes:

>>> Do you have any advice for installing buildbot on Debian? It's in
>>> Debian so it installs fine, but the buildbot gets a shell of
>>> /bin/false and a home dir in /var/lib/buildbot which is a bit messy
>>> for running cabal install as that user - in particular I can't seem to
>>> trivially get a shell with the right $HOME set.
>>
>> sudo -H -u buildbot bash -l (untested)?
>
> I got part of the way:
>
>   $ sudo aptitude install buildbot
>   [...]
>   $ sudo -u buildbot -H ~/.cabal/bin/cabal update
>   Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
>   $ sudo -u buildbot -H ~/.cabal/bin/cabal install cabal-install
>   Resolving dependencies...
>   Downloading cabal-install-0.6.2...
>   Configuring cabal-install-0.6.2...
>   Preprocessing executables for cabal-install-0.6.2...
>   Building cabal-install-0.6.2...
>   [...]
>
> Unfortunately I can't work out how to make .cabal/bin/cabal visible to
> buildbot without resorting to chsh:
>
>     $ sudo -u buildbot which cabal
>     $ sudo -u buildbot ln -s .cabal/bin ~buildbot/.bin
>     $ sudo -u buildbot which cabal
>     $ sudo -u buildbot env | grep PATH
>     PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

I also found that after using "buildbot create-slave", you should use
"buildbot start /path/to/working/tree" to boot the buildbot.  This will
fail until Petr adds your buildbot to the buildmaster -- it seems you
can't test it with a "silent" buildbot that doesn't appear in the
waterfall.  This is because the buildmaster doesn't simply respond to
"GET config" and "PUT log", but continually interacts with the slaves
during a build.

Once "buildbot start" works, you can enable it permanently by creating
BB_FOO[n] entries in /etc/default/buildbot, which has a commented-out
example.

I'll add the above to the wiki RSN (lurkers: feel free to preempt me).

Once I get approval from manglement, I'll see about adding some
interesting buildbot arches (nice'd and ioniced so as not to interfere
with work-work).