[darcs-users] New IO System in GHC (no more utf8-string?)

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Wed Sep 9 09:54:12 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> Would we not need to be doing openBinaryFile on all files text and
> binary alike?
>
>  [I'm assuming we need to retain the behaviour of being completely
>   encoding agnostic wrt to file contents except for expecting
>   newlines]

For the working tree, I believe you are correct.  To treat files in the
working tree as anything other than bytestrings would require knowing
their encoding, and we'd still need bytestrings for the binary files.

However I hope we'll eventually be able to store patch metadata (author,
patch name, etc.) in a single encoding, and recode when reading input or
printing output.

That would fix e.g. changes --xml in the Darcs repo being invalid due to
having a mix of ISO 8859 and UTF-8, but (implicitly) claiming to be UTF-8.