[darcs-users] How to build the documentation

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Thu Sep 10 05:24:10 UTC 2009

Miklos Vajna <vmiklos at frugalware.org> writes:

> I'm trying to get the documentation built with darcs-2.3.0. I have the
> necessary dependencies (latex2html, etc) installed as darcs-2.2.0
> builds the html documentation without any --enable-foo switches.
>
> Now that 2.3.0 switched to cabal, I do not get the documentation by
> default. I run configure --help, but I don't see any switch to enable
> the build of the documentation.
>
> So how could I do so?

Unfortunately there is no code to build the TeX manual at the moment; it
needs to be ported from the old autotools implementation to Cabal's
Setup.lhs.  Patches welcome!  I'm sorry that this happened, but it was
holding up the wider Cabal migration.

As doc manager, I have focused on getting the "darcs help" output to a
point where it is up-to-date, accurate and comprehensive.  I haven't had
time to do the same for the TeX documentation.  A lot of the TeX manual
was growing stale even before I got involved, so anything you read there
should be treated with suspicion.

The manpage (i.e. "man 1 darcs") is auto-generated from the "darcs help"
docstrings.  I hope that will provide the majority of the information
that is/was in the TeX manual.  Patches that improve "darcs help"
coverage are also very welcome.