[darcs-users] [issue1605] Allow test when sending or pushing rather than recording

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Sep 10 15:00:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 16:52:05 +0200, Florent Becker wrote:
> The point of the Untested tag here is that if you send/push to multiple
> repositories, you don't want to re-test them every time.

It's a nice idea, but is that a sufficiently common use case to warrant
the extra complexity?  If you're pushing to multiple repositories, could
you not get by with push --no-test?

As you've observed I have a knee-jerk suspicious response anytime
somebody proposes adding extra smarts to Darcs.  Clearly, we want to be
smart in a way that Git is not, but the kind of smarts we're looking for
is the kind that makes many things simple.  In other words, we want to
be smart by being elegant, not by being fancy.  Apologies for the
constant resistance!

> amend-record would allow you to test and bless a patch without
> sending/pushing it. amend-record --test should probably silently remove
> the 'Untested' tag.

Although if everybody disagrees with me, you could probably implement
this with another Ignore-this: field.