[darcs-users] darcs patch: Split tags/TAGS target.

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Fri Sep 11 04:49:02 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> Wed Sep  2 08:08:57 CEST 2009  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
>   * Split tags/TAGS target.
>   The previous combined target does not appear to generate tag files that
>   vim can recognise.

Sorry for the delay in review.  There is still one problem...

> -# Always generate both tags and TAGS when the user asks for either,
> -# because lispy doesn't like using the shift key.
> -tags TAGS: $(DARCS_FILES) src/*.c
> -	hasktags -b $(filter %.lhs %.hs,$^)
> +tags: $(DARCS_FILES) src/*.c
> +	hasktags -c $(filter %.lhs %.hs,$^)
>  	ctags -a $(filter %.c,$^)
> hunk ./GNUmakefile 48
> +	#
> +	# If you are an Emacs user: rm tags and make TAGS instead
> +	#

As an Emacs user, M-. will prompt you for a TAGS file, but I think it
can also handle tags files (though these contain less information).
I personally wouldn't bother with this warning.

I leave the final decision to you, Eric; I'll accept either.

> +# TAGS is for etags, whereas tags is for ctags
> +TAGS: $(DARCS_FILES) src/*.c
> +	hasktags -e $(filter %.lhs %.hs,$^)
>  # The test part tells make not to care if etags isn't installed, while
>  # still caring about etags crashing.  This is a Good Thing because you
>  # probably won't have etags installed unless you're an Emacs user.

This comment, and the code associated with it:

    || test $$? -eq 126 -o $$? -eq 127

should go.  They were only there so that vi users wouldn't be annoyed by
make trying to run an Emacs-specific program (etags).  Now, anyone
asking for TAGS can be assumed to want TAGS, and thus have etags.