[darcs-users] buildslaves sought

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Sat Sep 12 13:13:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

naur at post11.tele.dk writes:
> 1. I have fought a number of battles with cabal-install and lost them all, so
> me and cabal-install are not really good friends. I may take up my
> cabal-install fight again at some later date, but I am not really willing to
> do it in order to be able to host darcs buildbot slaves. So I would need an
> alternative description of the required setup that does not involve the use
> of cabal-install.
Well, the only other option is to manually download and install the
dependencies of darcs. You can say runghc Setup configure, and go to
hackage.haskell.org and download the packages it says you need, unpack, runghc
Setup configure and recurse. On many systems, part of these will be also
available as binary packages -- install those before going to hackage, it
should save you a bunch of work. You may also want to configure with --user, to
not pollute your system directories with manually installed libraries.

Basically, when darcs is building for you, you should be good to go. The other
downside of this setup is, however, that you will need to go and manually
install new packages on those buildslaves from time to time.

> 2. I understand the reason for heightening the requirements to the stability
> and service of the buildbot slaves, and I am uncertain whether I can live up
> to these requirements. The key question is this: Let's say that I went away
> on vacation for a week and left my buildbot slaves unattended or even turned
> off. Should I then feel bad about not notifying the darcs community about
> this?
Well, I think a controlled offlining of slaves is not a huge problem. We don't
want half of the slave list to be offline at all times, but a week is fine with
me. Just please take care to bring them down while they are idle, so we don't
get spurious failures.

As for leaving bots unattended: I keep that to your judgement. If you think
they will work fine while you are away, that's fine. If it doesn't work out
100%, that's not the end of the world either. Just make a reasonable effort to
keep things under control. If you think they are going to break, better take
them down before you leave. If a bot spins out of control while you are away,
we can always remove it from the master until it is fixed.

> Just to whet your appetite, let me mention that I can make darcs buildbot
> slaves available for PPC Mac OS X, Intel Mac OS X and probably also a rather
> dated (5.4) FreeBSD. I could even prepare a buildbot slave for a newer
> (6.something) FreeBSD, but that would take some persuasion. The machine that
> ran the Linux darcs buildbot slave that I hosted earlier is "dead", but you
> seem to have ample Linux slaves, so I will not worry about that.
Yes, Linux is (at least for now) well-covered, so don't lose sleep over
that. The OSX arches would be definitely welcome, and FreeBSD as well, if its
GHC works reliably and without too much effort on your part.

Thanks!
   Petr.