[darcs-users] darcs-links: web-interface

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 15:37:24 UTC 2009

Yclept Nemo <orbisvicis at gmail.com> writes:

> [It is a web-interface as in web-access+interface, not a code-browser]

A couple of paragraphs providing a high-level description of what this
package does would help fire up interest in it, I think.  I believe what
you showed me offlist had such an introduction, but I can't see it
transcribed on the pypi page.

For example,

    You submit patches via HTTP/SSL POST.  Submissions signed by trusted
    users are applied immediately; others are placed in a quarantine
    area and can be be reviewed using a web interface.

> I posted the package at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/darcs-cgi/ so use
> easy_install to grab it.

Calling it "darcs-cgi" is probably a bad idea for two reasons:

  - It describes an implementation technique, rather than what it DOES.

  - Some code in contrib/, which was unmaintained for a long time, and
    recently deleted, was called "darcs-server" or "darcs-cgi", and you
    want to make it clear that your work is unrelated.

> There are a few weak points, but I've been using it for over ~3 months
> without issue. Let me know what you think.

I believe that, like darcs-links, it'd be easier to grok this project if
there was a working demo available on the web.  AIUI Yclept doesn't have
the resources to host it -- perhaps Eric or some kind third party can
contact Yclept off-list to arrange hosting for a demo?