[darcs-users] darcs patch: resolve issue1406: amend-record unrecords on a test fa...

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Sun Sep 13 17:21:50 UTC 2009

Hi Eric,

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:51 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 14:43:17 -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
> > Not sure how you guys missed it, but once that bundle came to the list I
> > replied here:
> > http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-September/021175.html
>
> My mistake.  I asked mutt to limit my box to messages with 1406 in their
> subject line but neglected to unlimit the view having found my thread.
>
> > I need you guys to comment on: 1) The orphan patches that I bring up in
> that
> > reply. 2) Putting inverse patches in tentative_pristine versus commuting
> > patches to the end and discarding them.
>
> Thanks.  I appreciate you pointing us to the very latest state of
> affairs, but I think the real problem underlying my summary request is
> that I no longer have a top-to-bottom view of the situation.

AFAIK, there is just one message of mine to attend to.  This one, that I
mentioned before:
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-September/021175.html

> Perhaps this discussion in sprawling out enough that we could maybe
> consider using the review-on-wiki approach pioneered by Ganesh and Petr
> and made practical by our use of darcsit.  For reviews where it is easy
> to get lost, this technique could help.

How is it sprawling?  I disagree with the use of the wiki for discussion.
 We already have a bug tracker for tracking state and updates regarding bugs
(and we have a bug for this as you point out).  My understanding is that we
have IRC and mailing-list for discussions.  Now you're asking everyone
involved in this review to also follow discussions in the wiki.  In my
opinion, that increases the sprawl.  Also in my opinion, the wiki is meant
for documentation.  Let's please keep using it for documentation and not
discussions.  For one thing, the only way I will know that the wiki
discussion has been updated is if you email me with what you want me to
comment on.  At that point, I would just rather use email or the bug
tracker.  In fact, I would probably just reply by email and not bother
updating the wiki.  If roundup or the mailing list is not working for
tracking + discussions, then perhaps we should consider having a different
workflow, but I feel strongly that the wiki does not make sense here.

If Petr and Ganesh found it useful in the past, that's great for them, but I
do not want it to become the norm for patch reviews that participate in.

>  http://wiki.darcs.net/Review/issue1406
>
> Sorry for the hassle, but could I ask you guys (Jason and Kamil) to
> darcs get --lazy http://wiki.darcs.net and plug some stuff into the
> template?  I've made a very meager start on it.  Copy and pasting from
> mails is fair game.

You can ask, but I do not want to move this discussion to the wiki.

Jason