[darcs-users] darcs patch: resolve issue1406: amend-record unrecords on a test fa...

Kamil Dworakowski kamil at dworakowski.name
Sun Sep 13 17:48:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:51 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 14:43:17 -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
>> > Not sure how you guys missed it, but once that bundle came to the list I
>> > replied here:
>> > http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-September/021175.html
>>
>> My mistake.  I asked mutt to limit my box to messages with 1406 in their
>> subject line but neglected to unlimit the view having found my thread.
>>
>> > I need you guys to comment on: 1) The orphan patches that I bring up in
>> > that
>> > reply. 2) Putting inverse patches in tentative_pristine versus commuting
>> > patches to the end and discarding them.
>>
>> Thanks.  I appreciate you pointing us to the very latest state of
>> affairs, but I think the real problem underlying my summary request is
>> that I no longer have a top-to-bottom view of the situation.
>
> AFAIK, there is just one message of mine to attend to.  This one, that I
> mentioned before:
> http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-September/021175.html
>>
>> Perhaps this discussion in sprawling out enough that we could maybe
>> consider using the review-on-wiki approach pioneered by Ganesh and Petr
>> and made practical by our use of darcsit.  For reviews where it is easy
>> to get lost, this technique could help.
>
> How is it sprawling?  I disagree with the use of the wiki for discussion.
>  We already have a bug tracker for tracking state and updates regarding bugs
> (and we have a bug for this as you point out).  My understanding is that we
> have IRC and mailing-list for discussions.  Now you're asking everyone
> involved in this review to also follow discussions in the wiki.

Good point that notification is the week point of this method of
communication. I think the reason for the wiki page was simply that it
was hard to follow the thread, especially that there was mentioning of
some off the list discussion and that at some point the title changed.
I was also not helping by repeatedly replying just to the author
omitting the list. I think I have this impulse already under control
and now that we have all the current context on the wiki we might
continue the discussion on the mailing list. Anyway, I am happy either
way, though wiki might have more latency obviously. I shall try to
follow irc too.

--
Cheers,
Kamil