[darcs-users] Crazy idea: get depends from tests

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Sep 13 21:16:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Florent Becker wrote:

> That's why I propose to add a --add-deps-by-tests flag to record (and
> amend- record). When recording a patch x with that flag, darcs would try
> to commute each patch between x and the last tag (or some other chosen
> patch) past x, then unpull it and run tests. If the tests fail, then x
> depends on that patch. While it would require a not-too slow testsuite,
> that system would be a real robustness argument for darcs'
> cherry-picking: whenever you do cherry-picking, you end up with a merge
> of to branches which pass the tests (even though the merge itself could
> well not pass).

I like this idea. I think there are two parts to it.

(1) Make amend-record able to add new deps. It's actually a pain that it
can't anyway, which I discovered recently.

(2) Have a probably separate utility that can run afterwards and add the
required deps. Obviously as with any other amend-recorded changes, this
should be before the patch escapes into the wild.

Cheers,

Ganesh