[darcs-users] darcs patch: resolve issue1406: amend-record unrecords on a test fa...

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Sep 13 22:56:40 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:21:50 -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
> How is it sprawling?  I disagree with the use of the wiki for discussion.
>  We already have a bug tracker for tracking state and updates regarding bugs
> (and we have a bug for this as you point out).

[snip why adding the wiki to the review mix is not a good idea]

> If roundup or the mailing list is not working for tracking +
> discussions, then perhaps we should consider having a different
> workflow, but I feel strongly that the wiki does not make sense here.

I see why you are reacting and I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't
think that a policy debate or workflow discussion is would be most
productive use of our time right now.

> If Petr and Ganesh found it useful in the past, that's great for them, but I
> do not want it to become the norm for patch reviews that participate in.

I was asked to help.  I got lost.  I thought a summary would help, ie.
not just a review of the latest patch but a high level overview of what
we're trying to fix, how we're trying to go about it, and a high-level
presentation of the last two delicate points, something to tie the whole
discussion together.  I figured the wiki would help me get that summary
because it provides one document that everybody could work on and that
we could massage.

I said:
>> Perhaps this discussion in sprawling out enough that we could maybe
>> consider using the review-on-wiki approach pioneered by Ganesh and Petr
>> and made practical by our use of darcsit.  For reviews where it is easy
>> to get lost, this technique could help.

While I did suggest that this could be a useful way to capture
long-running reviews so that people can catch up more quickly.
I did not mean to suggest that we should move the discussion to the
wiki, or even that we should make more regular use of the wiki for patch
review

Somewhat-grumpily yours,