[darcs-users] should it be possible to amend a tag?

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Mon Sep 14 01:12:57 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> One question I have for other darcs hackers is: does Darcs assume in
> any way that tag patches are empty?  Because right now, it is possible
> to amend a tag and add stuff to it.  Should that be illegal?

I was surprised to find that Darcs "escapes" an attempt to trick it into
making a tag:

    $ touch x
    $ darcs rec x -lam 'TAG delete-me'
    Recording changes in "x":

    Finished recording patch '.TAG delete-me'

Unfortunately, that leading dot stays around forever -- nothing ever
unescapes it.

Stuff like this, or those Ignore-This lines in the patch description,
really grate.  I hope that Darcs 3 will have a new patch file format
that can express such things without kludgily grafting them onto the
patch name/description...