[darcs-users] no more checkpoints, but hashed repos for GHC in Darcs 2.4?

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 14 08:43:24 UTC 2009

This is fine by me.  But we need to work with you folks to make sure that hashed repos are not a regression for us before we're forced to switch.  That means fixing at least

  - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1582 (permission denied on Windows,
    perhaps already fixed in hashed-storage, I need to check)

  - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1589 (7-second overhead for pulling
    or unpulling one patch)

  - timestamps getting out of sync by hard-linking the hashed pristine files.
    I presume this is fixed by darcs-hs anyway.

  - dividing the cache into subdirectories to avoid bad filesystem
    performance with large directories.

Right now I'm using darcs 2.2 with darcs-1 repos at work, and I'm pretty happy with it.  On my laptop I'm using darcs 2.3 with hashed repos, and while some things are blindingly fast (whatsnew), some other things are grotesquely slow :-(

Cheers,
	Simon